Visiting the Archive
Where is the Cleveland Colby Colgate Archives located?
Driving Directions and Campus Map.
The archives is located inside the Susan C. Cleveland Library/Learning Center. The reading room is just after the help desk on the left. The archivist’s office is located inside the reading room.
Do I need to make an appointment to visit?
Yes, we do require that you have an appointment to visit the archives. This allows us to pull materials in preparation for your visit and ensure that someone will be available to assist you. Please schedule an appointment through our online interface. Be sure to select the Archives Research schedule.
Can I make photocopies?
We make all photocopies for you. If your request is small, chances are we will be able to photocopy the materials for you right away. Larger requests may take several days to complete.
We will also make high-resolution adjusted scans for you. All reproductions are for educational or personal use only, and you must agree to comply with copyright law. Personal cameras and scanners may be brought in with permission; not all collections are available for photographing or scanning.
What are these strict rules I’ve heard about?
We have requirements that are different from those in the regular library in order to protect our unique and irreplaceable materials.
- No food or drink is allowed in the Archives reading room.
- All belongings that you are not using for research must be stored by the coat rack.
- To prevent possible permanent damage, we ask that you only use pencil when working in the archives. You can bring your own or borrow one of ours. Laptops are also permitted.
- If you need something photocopied or scanned, please see the College Archivist. Materials need to be handled carefully; if you notice that an item is fragile, please be extra careful.
- When finished, please leave all materials on the table and check in with the Archivist before leaving.
Can I check out books or other materials?
Materials in the Cleveland Colby Colgate Archives are non-circulating and must be used in the Archives reading room.
How do I cite items from your collections?
Identification of Item, Box Number, Folder Number, Name of the Collection, Collection No., Cleveland Colby Colgate Archives, Colby-Sawyer College.